Pancakes are one of those breakfast dishes that seem very simple on the outside- heck, they’re just flatbread- but require a certain finesse to find a balance between fluffy and flat, lightly browned and burnt, and fully cooked and gummy. Here are a few tips to help you reach perfection in a pancake and treat your family to a healthy, delicious breakfast that will leave them feeling loved.
1. It can’t be said enough, you need to be sure to have a good pancake pan. A seasoned griddle is ideal, but any non-stick pan with a full flat bottom should work well.
2. Try to keep mixing to a minimum. You want the pancakes to be fluffy- not rubbery. Too much stirring will activate the gluten in the flour and cause your pancakes to become overly tough and firm.
3. You can never underestimate the value of practice and patience. By practice, we mean making a first pancake to test the pan for the right heat. If it works- great. If not, you didn’t waste anymore batter than you had too. Patience is key- your pancake will be lightly golden at the edges with small bubbles dotting the uncooked side. Once flipped, the pancake should be done in about 30-60 seconds.
4. Do not, I repeat, do not press the pancakes down once they have been flipped. Pressing down will fight the leavening process and ruin your chances at fluffy pancakes.
5. For extra fluffiness, separate the egg yolks from the whites. Add the yolks with the other wet ingredients, and then beat the whites until light and fluffy. Fold the whites into the batter to give your pancakes a little extra lift.
Here is a great recipe that will produce delicious pancakes. If you’re not up for trying a recipe, we’ve put some of our pancake mixes on sale to make pancakes an easier experiment.
Sift dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, milk and yogurt together then add to dry ingredients. Stir until just combined then fold in blueberries. Fry pancakes on a hot greased griddle, turning once. Makes 6 pancakes.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: One pancake contains Calories 110, Calories from Fat 20;
Fat 2.5g; Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 220mg; Total Carbohydrate 17g; Fiber 2g; Sugars 4g; Protein 6g